Feminine … Feline. The connection between those two words first caught my attention when a distraught 16 year-old-boy in my class, moaned, “Have you ever noticed how much women (yes, he said women and not girls) are like cats. They act like they like you, but once you get too close, out come the claws.”
Hmmm. Scary-insightful for a 16 year old.
Watching our new kitten, it has occurred to me that maybe that kid was right. There are more comparisons than are sometimes comfortable.
- Hate being alone but insist on being independent
- Talk way more than dogs (whom the same kid mentioned above said resembled guys)
- Look postured to make a decision, but take FOREVER to pounce.
- Want the most attention while you’re half awake or preoccupied.
- Insist on seeking attention with their claws out.
- Even when playful, are always on the edge of protective instincts
- Clean up after themselves better than dogs
- Very attracted to shiny, pretty things
- Love to attack the most vulnerable places (i.e. hands, face, unprotected legs)
- Very insistent on doing things their own way … so much harder to train than dogs.
- Want all the attention from whoever is in the room, but very coy about it
- And of course, there’s the whole, hissing-spitting thing when cats are mad (i.e. being catty)
- When in trouble, immediately begins to purr and turn on the charm
- Want attention whenever you sit down, stand up, or come anywhere near their vacinity
- Converts from a cuddle to a pounce without warning
- Pretty darn irresistible
Cats … women … we’re a little difficult to manage at times, but aren’t we adorable? I’m sure there are some witty additions to this list, so bring them on. Oh, and of course, feel free to help create a “dog/guys” list